The Shawn Carter Scholarship is a fully funded undergraduate scholarship available to students in the United States.
Shawn Carter (a.k.a. Jay-Z) established the Shawn Carter Scholarship after recognizing a lack of scholarship opportunities for students.
This scholarship covers tuition and related supplemental educational expenses such as books, lab fees, travel, and certain living expenses.
The Shawn Carter Scholarship Fund (SCSF) was founded on the principle that any motivated individual in need should be able to further his or her education.
SCSF selects candidates from all walks of life across the country. Despite many personal and socioeconomic setbacks, such as teen pregnancy, former incarceration, interrupted schooling, poverty, and homelessness, they all strongly desire to pursue higher education.
Learn more about how to apply and get selected for this invaluable scholarship opportunity below!
About Shawn Carter Scholarship?
Gloria Carter and her son, Shawn “JAY-Z” Carter, established the Shawn Carter Foundation in 2003.
The foundation was established on the basis that anyone with motivation should be able to pursue higher education without having to worry about the cost of attendance.
The scholarship is awarded to students from households with an annual income of less than $75,000.
The program awards up to $2,500 annually to recipients and will continue to do so for as long as they remain in good academic standing.
The SCF provides individual grants, paid directly to the educational institution, to each student who qualifies, is accepted as a recipient, and reapplies annually, from admission through graduation, for up to six years and until the age of 25.
The grant could pay for tuition and other school-related costs, like books, lab fees, travel, and some living costs.
Summary of the Scholarship
Level of Study: Undergraduate
Institution(s): Any Accredited College in the USA
Host Country: USA
Deadline: April 30, 2023
What are the Benefits of the Shawn Carter Scholarship
- The scholarship will help you pay for school.
- You can get up to $2,500 per year
- You must be enrolled in a full-time undergraduate course of study at an accredited four-year institution of higher education.
- There is no limit on the number of semesters you can receive this award as long as your application and eligibility requirements are still met.
- Eligible students must be African American or Latino and US citizens or permanent residents who have demonstrated financial need.
How to qualify for the Shawn Carter Scholarship
To be considered for the Shawn Carter Scholarship, a candidate must meet all of the following requirements:
- A mandatory language is English.
- Eligible Countries: US citizen or Permanent Resident
- level: Students who are working toward their first degree at the undergraduate
- Juniors and seniors in high school
- Students who have obtained their GED diplomas
- undergraduate students enrolled in programs lasting either two or four years.
- Students who are currently enrolled in a vocational or trade school
- or younger than 25 years of age
- Minimum 2.0 GPA
- A gross annual income of the household not to exceed $75,000 USD
How to apply for the Shawn Carter Scholarship
You will be required to send in the following items to be considered for the Shawn Carter Scholarship:
- A cover letter describing your objectives and hopes for the future
- A transcript or other evidence that you are currently enrolled in a postsecondary institution (high school seniors are eligible)
- An essay in which you describe how your past has influenced who you are as an individual and how this has led to the development of your goals and aspirations for the future.
Simply visit their website to get things rolling.
- Information about the applicant
- Information on education
- Academic and extracurricular honors and rewards
- Extracurricular activities, such as which ones you participate in and how long you’ve been involved
- Family details
- Financial details
- Special circumstances and personal statement
- Essay and photograph
- Recommendation letter
Candidates for the SCSF come from all walks of life and all parts of the country; the one thing they have in common is an intense yearning to pursue higher education despite the many personal and societal obstacles that stand in their way.
The value of the scholarship is $2,500.
Remember the following dates if you are applying for the Shawn Carter Scholarship:
- Application open: April 1st
- The application deadline is April 30th.
- Date of award: not specified
FAQs about the Shawn Carter Scholarship
Q: Who is Shawn Carter?
A: Shawn Carter, aka Jay Z, is a hip-hop mogul and entrepreneur. He’s the founder of Roc-A-Fella Records and the Rocawear clothing line and the part owner of the New Jersey Nets basketball team.
Many people don’t know that he has been giving back to the community for years through his Shawn Carter Scholarship Foundation.
Q: WHEN CAN I START APPLYING FOR SCHOLARSHIPS?
A: You can start applying on April 1st.
Q: WHEN IS THE DEADLINE FOR APPLYING For The SCHOLARSHIP?
A: The application deadline is April 30th (11:59 PM EST). Please keep in mind that incomplete and late applications are ineligible.
Q: WHO CAN APPLY FOR THE SHAWN CARTER SCHOLARSHIP?
A: All high school seniors, GED recipients, undergraduate (2 or 4-year) college students, and vocational or trade school students who meet the requirements listed below are eligible.
Q: DO I NEED TO BE IN A VOCATIONAL SCHOOL TO APPLY FOR THIS SCHOLARSHIP?
Q: DO I HAVE TO BE IN SCHOOL RIGHT NOW TO APPLY FOR THIS SCHOLARSHIP?
A: You do not need to be enrolled in school to apply, but you must show proof from an accredited institution that you will be enrolling and that the scholarship support you seek will be applied there.
DO I HAVE A CHANCE OF RECEIVING THIS SCHOLARSHIP EVEN THOUGH I DO NOT HAVE A HIGH GPA?
A: Yes, they consider various factors when determining your eligibility for the scholarship. Leadership, community service, socioeconomic factors, essay quality, and other strengths are all considered in the decision-making process.
The scholarship recipients are resilient in the face of adversity, give back to their communities, and have GPAs ranging from 2.0 to 3.0. Students with GPAs higher than this range are encouraged to apply.
Q: IS IT POSSIBLE FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS TO APPLY?
A: They do not fund students starting graduate school in the fall.
The Shawn Carter Scholarship is a great opportunity for students to get financial assistance for college.
The application process can be competitive, but students who take the time to fill out the application and write a good essay have a good chance of being selected.
If you have any questions, drop a comment and follow our blog for updates.