When it comes to pursuing higher education, financial barriers should never stand in the way of your dreams. The Stephen Phillips Memorial Scholarship stands as a beacon of hope for aspiring students, offering not just financial aid, but also a chance to foster personal growth, academic achievement, and community engagement.
In this post, we will delve into the intricate details of the Stephen Phillips Memorial Scholarship, outlining its benefits, eligibility criteria, requirements, application process, and ultimately, how to increase your chances of securing this coveted scholarship.
About Stephen Phillips Memorial Scholarship
Stephen Phillips was born in 1907 into a prominent Salem, Massachusetts family with a long history of involvement in the merchant sailing era of Salem that followed the American Revolution.
The Stephen Phillips Memorial Scholarship Fund was created in his honor to provide renewable, four-year scholarships to students with financial need who display academic achievement, a commitment to serving others, a strong work ethic, and leadership qualities.
High school graduates or current seniors and current college students who meet the criteria are encouraged to apply.
Benefits of the Stephen Phillips Memorial Scholarship
The Stephen Phillips Memorial Scholarship offers a number of benefits to recipients, including:
- Up to $17,000 per year in scholarship funds: This scholarship can provide significant financial assistance to students with financial need.
- Renewable for up to four years: Recipients of the Stephen Phillips Memorial Scholarship can renew their scholarship for up to four years, as long as they meet the scholarship’s eligibility requirements.
- Awarded to students with financial need: The Stephen Phillips Memorial Scholarship is specifically designed to help students with financial need achieve their educational goals.
- Based on academic achievement, leadership, and service: The Stephen Phillips Memorial Scholarship is not just based on academic achievement. Recipients of the scholarship must also demonstrate leadership qualities and a commitment to serving others.
The Stephen Phillips Memorial Scholarship is a renewable, four-year scholarship that is awarded to permanent residents of New England states with financial need who display academic achievement, a commitment to serving others, a strong work ethic, and leadership qualities.
To be eligible for the Stephen Phillips Memorial Scholarship, applicants must:
- Be an entering or returning student at an accredited undergraduate institution in the United States and be enrolled full-time (at least 12 hours).
- Be pursuing a bachelor’s degree (BA, BS, BFA, BSN for example) for the first time. Students in one-year or two-year certificate or associate’s degree programs do not qualify. Students in five-plus year programs ending in a master’s degree or beyond may apply for the first four (undergraduate) years of their programs.
- Be a United States citizen or noncitizen who has a current lawful presence in the United States and employment authorization.
- Be a permanent resident of a New England state: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island or Vermont.
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Be enrolled in a demanding course of study.
- Demonstrate skilled writing.
Qualifying applicants will demonstrate the following:
- An EFC (Expected Family Contribution) from the FAFSA Student Aid Report that is $10,000 or less.
- Financial unmet need of $7,000 or more at the college of their choice as determined by the Financial Eligibility Calculator.
- A low to moderate parent Adjusted Gross Income (AGI).
Citizenship, Character, and Serious-Mindedness
Strong applicants would:
- Demonstrate a desire to make a meaningful contribution to society both present and future.
- Be involved in a balance of community, school, and work activities.
- Pursue goals and aspirations with integrity, resolution, self-discipline, and judgment.
- Work part time.
- Demonstrate leadership characteristics and/or assumed leadership positions.
- Display maturity and skills if faced with a challenge.
To apply for the Stephen Phillips Memorial Scholarship, applicants must submit the following:
- A completed application form
- A personal statement
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended
- A copy of your FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR)
How to Apply
You are required to visit the scholarship website, which can be found at www.phillips-scholarship.org, in order to submit an application for the Stephen Phillips Memorial Scholarship. ALL APPLICATIONS HAVE TO BE SENT IN VIA THE ONLINE Method. Applications submitted via mail will not be reviewed.
The application process is not very complicated, but it is essential to get started as soon as possible. The vast majority of candidates estimate that it took them between 4 and 10 hours to finish the application.
You will be required to upload the following papers in order to submit your application in its entirety:
- One formal essay of 500-750 words.
- A few short responses to prompts about your academic achievements, leadership qualities, and community involvement.
- A resume (optional).
- Financial Aid Award information from the college or university that you plan to attend.
- Your FAFSA Student Aid Report.
- The names and contact details of at least two recommenders.
Your recommenders will be sent an email with a link to submit their letters of recommendation on your behalf. Please ask your recommenders to submit their letters as soon as possible, as the scholarship committee will begin reviewing applications as soon as they are received.
The Stephen Phillips Memorial Scholarship is worth up to $17,000 per year. Scholarships are renewable for up to four years, so the total value of the scholarship could be up to $68,000.
CHECK OUT NOW: UCA Foundation Scholarship 2023: Apply Now
The Stephen Phillips Memorial Scholarship has three different application deadlines:
- Renewal Application for current recipients: February 1, 2024. This deadline is for current recipients of the scholarship who are applying to renew their award for the upcoming academic year.
- New Application for High School Students for an Early Response: April 3, 2024, 12 noon. This deadline is for high school seniors who are applying for the scholarship and would like to receive an early response.
- New Application for College Students and High School Students: May 1, 2024, 12 noon. This deadline is for all other applicants, including high school seniors who are not applying for the early response, and college students who are currently enrolled or who will be enrolling in the fall of 2024.
How to Ace The Stephen Phillips Memorial Scholarship
Here are some tips for securing the Scholarship:
- Start early. Because the application process might be lengthy, it is critical to begin early.
- Be prepared. Maintain a centralized location for all of your application materials and ensure that they are full and error-free.
- Create a compelling personal statement. The personal statement is your opportunity to explain to the scholarship committee why you are deserving of the prize. Make a point of emphasizing your academic achievements, leadership characteristics, and community service.
- Get solid letters of recommendation. Request letters of recommendation from two instructors, mentors, or employers who know you well.
- Please submit all relevant documentation. Make sure you turn in all relevant documentation by the deadline.
The Scholarship is a great opportunity for students with financial need who are seeking a bachelor’s degree. The scholarship is renewable for up to four years and is worth up to $68,000.
If you are a high school graduate or current high school senior who meets the eligibility requirements, I encourage you to apply for the Stephen Phillips Memorial Scholarship.