The National Merit Scholarship is a highly prestigious and competitive scholarship program that recognizes outstanding high school students for their academic achievements.
Each year, the program awards scholarships to a select group of students who demonstrate exceptional academic potential and a commitment to excellence.
As we approach the 2023 National Merit Scholarship competition, it is important for high school students and their families to understand the program’s requirements and how to apply.
In this blog, we will provide an overview of the National Merit Scholarship, including eligibility criteria, the application process, and tips for success.
Whether you are a student aspiring to earn the scholarship or a parent or educator supporting a student, this post will provide valuable information to help you navigate the National Merit Scholarship process.
About the Scholarship
The National Merit Scholarship Program, which began in 1955, is an academic competition for recognition and awards. Every year, around 1.5 million high school students enroll in the program.
The National Merit Scholarship is a highly competitive and prestigious scholarship program that recognizes the academic achievements of high school students.
The program is open to high school juniors and is based on their scores on the PSAT/NMSQT, which is a standardized test taken by high school students in the United States. The test is usually taken in October of the student’s junior year and serves as the qualifying test for the National Merit Scholarship.
Benefits of the National Merit Scholarship
The National Merit Scholarship provides financial aid to high school students who have demonstrated exceptional academic ability and potential for success in rigorous college studies.
Some of the benefits of the scholarship include:
- Monetary award: The scholarship provides a one-time payment of $2,500 to the recipient, which can be used to cover the cost of tuition, books, and other expenses related to their education.
- Recognition: The scholarship is a highly prestigious award that is recognized by colleges and universities across the country, making it a significant achievement on a student’s college application.
- Networking: Recipients of the scholarship have the opportunity to connect with other academically talented students from across the country, which can be a valuable networking opportunity.
- College preparation: The scholarship program provides resources and support to help recipients prepare for college and succeed in their studies.
It’s important to note that the National Merit Scholarship is a highly competitive award, and only a small percentage of applicants are selected as recipients each year.
A student must meet the following requirements to be eligible for the National Merit Scholarship Program:
- Regardless of grade classification or educational pattern, take the PSAT/NMSQT in the stipulated year of the high school program and no later than the third year in grades 9 through 12.
- Be enrolled in high school (traditional or homeschooled), advancing normally toward graduation or completion of high school, and intending to accept admission to college no later than the fall following high school completion; and
- Attend high school in the United States, the District of Columbia, or a United States commonwealth or territory; or complete the citizenship requirements for students attending high school in a country other than the United States.
How to Apply
Students must achieve a high score on the PSAT/NMSQT, which is typically in the top 1% of all test-takers.
Once the test scores are released, the highest-scoring students in each state are named as semifinalists. These students are then required to submit a detailed application, including their academic record, extracurricular activities, and an essay.
From the pool of semifinalists, approximately 16,000 students are named as finalists, and about half of these students will be awarded scholarships.
Click on their official website to get started.
The National Merit Scholarship awards vary in amount, but can be up to $2,500 per year for up to four years of undergraduate study.
Some colleges and universities also offer additional scholarships and grants to National Merit Scholars who attend their institutions.
The deadline for the National Merit Scholarship program in 2023 will likely be in the fall of 2023, around September or October.
However, it’s important to note that the exact deadline will be determined by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC) and may vary from year to year.
How to Ace The Scholarship
There are a few key steps you can take to increase your chances of being selected as a recipient of the National Merit Scholarship:
- Take the PSAT: The National Merit Scholarship program uses the PSAT/NMSQT (Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test) as the initial screening test for the scholarship. It’s important to prepare well and score as high as possible on the test to be considered for the scholarship.
- Maintain a strong GPA: The scholarship program looks for students who have a record of high academic achievement. It’s important to maintain a high GPA throughout high school, particularly in math and science courses.
- Get involved in extracurricular activities: The scholarship program looks for students who are well-rounded and have a variety of interests and talents. Participating in extracurricular activities, such as clubs, sports, and volunteer work, can help demonstrate your leadership and commitment to your community.
- Write a strong essay: The scholarship program requires applicants to write an essay as part of the application process. It’s important to take the time to write a thoughtful, well-written essay that highlights your achievements, goals, and why you’re a good fit for the scholarship.
- Get recommendation letter: Recommendation letters from teachers or other adults who can speak to your academic abilities and potential for success in college can be a valuable addition to your scholarship application.
- It’s also important to be aware of the deadline for the scholarship program and to submit your application on time.
- Keep in mind that the competition for the National Merit Scholarship is fierce, so it’s essential to have a strong academic record and have a well-rounded application package.
The scholarship is a highly competitive and prestigious scholarship program that can provide significant financial support for students as they pursue their undergraduate studies.
It is important for high school students to understand the requirements and application process for the scholarship, and to take the PSAT/NMSQT in the junior year.
With hard work and dedication, students can achieve the high scores necessary to become National Merit Scholars and take advantage of the many opportunities this scholarship provides.