The Max J Madrid Law Diversity Scholarship is a program that was founded by Modrall Sperling. Its purpose is to promote the goals of diversity and inclusion within the legal profession.
A tuition assistance payment in the amount of $10,000 is provided to the recipient of the scholarship for use toward the recipient’s second or third year of law school.
The scholarship is named after their former litigation partner and beloved friend, who died unexpectedly in 2012. Max was a fervent supporter of the principles of diversity and inclusion that we support.
About The Scholarship
Modrall Sperling has established the Max J Madrid Law Diversity Scholarship to further the goals of diversity and inclusion in the legal profession. The scholarship covers tuition for the awardee’s second or third year of law school.
Applicants must be in their first or second year of law school and come from a diverse background that has historically been underrepresented in the legal profession.
Modrall Sperling is committed to creating an environment that values diversity, promotes equality, and fosters mutual respect and inclusion, in which everyone has the opportunity to succeed.
Benefits of the Max J Madrid Law Diversity Scholarship
- It provides financial support for law students from diverse backgrounds, helping to reduce the financial burden of pursuing legal studies.
- The scholarship helps to promote a diverse legal profession, encouraging more diverse perspectives in the legal field.
- The scholarship supports those who are committed to using the law to work for social justice and the advancement of human rights.
- It encourages minority students to pursue a legal education.
- It helps to diversify the law school community and create more inclusive legal practices.
- It provides an opportunity for law students to gain valuable mentorship and networking opportunities.
- The scholarship is a great way to invest in the future of the legal profession.
- It helps to foster a spirit of cooperation and understanding within the legal profession.
- The scholarship encourages law students to serve their communities through legal services.
- It provides access to resources and support to those pursuing a legal education.
Applicants for the Max J. Madrid Law Diversity Scholarship need to meet the following requirements in order to be considered for the award:
- Demonstrate strong academic achievement in college and, if applicable, in the first year of law school
- Demonstrate leadership qualities with employment and/or community service experience
- Demonstrate excellence in research and communication skills, including written and oral
- Make a compelling statement about the applicant’s desire and the applicant’s ability to overcome obstacles
- Attend an ABA-accredited law school. The scholarship will be awarded to one deserving
- Commitment to or a clear intent to practice law in New Mexico
Requirements for Max J Madrid Law Diversity Scholarship
The following criteria must be met in order to be considered for the Max J. Madrid Law Diversity Scholarship:
- An essay
- A letter of recommendation
- An application form,
- An official transcript, and
- A resume is required.
How to Apply
Applications should be sent to Regina Torrez at firstname.lastname@example.org and be in PDF format.
In order for a submission to be evaluated and approved, it is necessary for it to contain all of the following:
- A personal statement addressing eligibility and the selection criteria that is between 500 and 700 words in length;
- A current résumé that details the applicant’s educational background, work experience, and interest in their community;
- A sample of your writing, anything from five to ten pages long, that has not been altered by anybody else, ideally on a legal subject;
- Transcripts, either official or unofficial, from undergraduate, graduate, or legal studies; and
- Two references, either academic, professional, or job, with complete contact information for each reference.
- Candidates who have been chosen to move on to the next round of the scholarship competition may be contacted to set up interviews.
You can click this link for more info
The chosen candidate will be given $10,000.
The submission of scholarship applications must be completed and sent no later than January 28, 2023.
How to Ace The Max J Madrid Law Diversity Scholarship
- Become familiar with the scholarship’s requirements. Read through the Max J. Madrid Law Diversity Scholarship’s website and pay particular attention to the application requirements. Make sure you thoroughly understand the scholarship’s criteria in order to decide if you are eligible and how to best craft your application.
- Start the application process as early as possible. Gather the materials you need to fill out the application and begin as soon as you can. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to craft a well-rounded application that accurately represents your qualifications and experiences.
- Put together a strong resume. Make sure your resume stands out by highlighting your relevant qualifications and experiences, such as internships and extracurriculars. Include any awards or accolades you have received, such as scholarships or honors.
- Write a compelling essay. Spend time crafting an essay that speaks to the scholarship’s mission and demonstrates your commitment to its goals. Make sure to include specific examples of how you have contributed to diversity and inclusion in your own life and community.
- Request letters of recommendation. Ask faculty members, mentors, or supervisors for letters of recommendation that can speak to your qualifications for the scholarship. Make sure to give the recommender plenty of time to write a meaningful letter that speaks to your strengths.
- Submit your application. Submit your application as early as possible to give yourself the best chance of being selected for the scholarship. Make sure to double-check your application for any errors or omissions before submitting it.
- Follow up with the scholarship committee. Send a polite follow-up email or letter to the scholarship committee to inquire about the status of your application. Make sure to thank them for their time and effort in considering your application.
The Max J. Madrid Law Diversity Scholarship provides promising law students from a variety of backgrounds with the financial support necessary to pursue their goals and realize their potential.
This scholarship seeks to level the playing field by leveling the playing field by offering financial resources to students who are facing unique hurdles and may not otherwise have the opportunity to pursue a legal career.
We are able to ensure that individuals from all walks of life have the same opportunity to have a good effect on the legal profession by providing them with this scholarship.