Employment Status: Full-Time Regular
Salary Min: $27.25
We’re looking for new talent to join us as we reinvent the future of energy. Across BC, we have a diverse team of more than 2,400 employees we can’t do without, yet we’re growing as fast as ever.
You may think we’re your standard utility that delivers natural gas and electricity, but we’re also into cool, innovative energy solutions. Think carbon capture, renewable energies and lower-carbon transportation for a start. We believe in creating a cleaner, healthier tomorrow.
If you like meaningful work, a dynamic environment and forward-thinking colleagues, build your career with us. You’ll get opportunities to grow, lead, solve, and create. So what are you waiting for? Let’s rethink energy together.
Our success relies on having highly skilled field operators, so we have developed an apprenticeship program that’s one of the best in the industry. The Distribution Apprentice will learn to use the tools and procedures required for the construction, maintenance and operation of the Gas Distribution system. You will assist in the installation of distribution pipes, fittings and related components and in carrying out repairs and alterations to existing mains and services.
You will learn welding and pipefitting skills, and will also be trained in safety, customer service and software applications. You will receive hands-on experience and coaching through classroom and on-the-job training to prepare you for advancement.
- High school/Grade 12 graduation/GED (education will be verified)
- Valid BC driver’s license with safe driving record – minimum Class 5 required. Class 1 or 3 with air endorsement preferred
- Underground utilities experience (gas, water, sewer) is an asset
- Mechanical aptitude
- Demonstrated safe work habits and adherence to safety regulations and practices on a sustained basis
- Sense of responsibility
- Ability to become proficient in the use of power operated and hand tools, equipment and instruments
- Ability to learn simple pipefitting, small meter setting and residential appliance relight setting 1
- General good health, adequate physical strength and agility
- Ability to meet the public as a representative of FortisBC
- Ability to absorb, follow and retain instructions relating to function
- Ability to acquire a thorough knowledge of theory and operation of material and equipment relating to Gas Operations
- Ability to use and complete time slips, trucking slips, simple work and similar forms
- Considerable walking, bending and lifting
- Exposure to all weather conditions
- Preference will be given to applicants with experience operating rubber tire backhoe and/or excavating equipment in shallow construction
- Current Gasfitter qualifications (B ticket or higher) are considered an asset
- Welding experience/credentials are considered an asset
- Out of town training and work may be required
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.
The safety of our customers and FortisBC family members is our number one priority. Depending on the responsibilities of the job, some employees continue to report to the office while others work remotely. To ensure the safety of our employees on our job sites, there is strict adherence to our worksite safety plans and social distancing practices. As an essential service provider, we’ll continue to follow the government COVID-19 guidelines and adjust our plans as necessary. As we welcome new employees, our commitment to safety remains for all of our FortisBC family.