The Besio Family Scholarship is a prestigious scholarship opportunity for students who demonstrate exceptional academic achievements, the scholarship is open to incoming freshmen who are majoring in business or engineering and who demonstrate outstanding service to community.
The scholarship aims to support and empower promising individuals in their pursuit of higher education. If you are interested in applying for the Besio Family Scholarship, here is all the information you need:
About Besio Family Scholarship
The Besio Family Scholarship is a renewable award of $25,000 per year for up to four years of undergraduate study at the University of Notre Dame. The scholarship is open to incoming freshmen who are majoring in business or engineering and who demonstrate outstanding academic achievement and service to community.
Benefits of the Besio Family Scholarship
The Besio Family Scholarship offers the following benefits:
- An annual stipend of $25,000 towards undergraduate tuition, renewable for up to four years, resulting in a total of $100,000. It is important to note that this stipend is independent of any other financial aid the scholar may receive.
- Mandatory participation in a fully funded one-week Outward Bound Wilderness Leadership Canoe Expedition in Minnesota’s Boundary Waters. This expedition provides scholars with valuable experiential learning and leadership development opportunities.
- Eligibility to apply for a Besio enrichment award, which supports academic research projects and professional development opportunities at Notre Dame throughout the four-year period of undergraduate study. This award allows scholars to enhance their academic pursuits and gain valuable experiences.
- Renewable: The scholarship can be renewed for a maximum of four years, provided the recipient maintains satisfactory academic progress.
- Outward Bound Wilderness Leadership Canoe Expedition: All scholarship recipients must take part in a mandatory one-week Outward Bound Wilderness Leadership Canoe Expedition in Minnesota’s Boundary Waters.
- Incoming freshman: Scholarship is open to incoming freshmen who will be attending the University of Notre Dame in the fall of 2023
- Major: Scholarship is open to students who are majoring in business or engineering
- Academic achievement: Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.8
- Service to the community: Applicants must demonstrate a commitment to service to the community
SEE ALSO: HBCU Alumni Scholarship: How To Apply
- Full-time undergraduate participation.
- Maintaining a 3.0 overall grade point average. If a scholar’s cumulative GPA falls below this requirement at the end of their second semester of freshman year, or at the end of any semester afterward, they will be placed on scholarship probation and will lose the scholarship for the following semester. They will then have the opportunity to reestablish a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. If they have a cumulative average of less than 3.0 for two consecutive semesters, their scholarship will be terminated for the next semester. Besio Scholars will reclaim their scholarships if their cumulative average rebounds to 3.0 or above.
- Academic goals in engineering or business. If a scholar wishes to change their academic intent, they must tell the Faculty Director of the Notre Dame Scholars’ Programme after three semesters of study in order to convert to another scholarship. Scholars will be transferred to another merit scholarship with an equivalent tuition scholarship award. However, if a scholar got enrichment support as part of their initial grant, this funding will no longer be guaranteed.
- Maintaining good academic and disciplinary standing. If a scholar is placed on academic or disciplinary probation or dismissed, they will automatically lose their scholarship and status as a scholar and will not be reassessed.
- University merit scholarships are considered for a maximum of eight semesters. Scholarship eligibility is not extended to account for any semester(s) in which the scholar did not meet scholarship standards.
How to Apply
To apply for the scholarship, please follow these steps:
- Go to the online application portal.
- Complete the application form with accurate and up-to-date information.
- Double-check all the details provided to ensure they are correct and error-free.
- Submit your application through the online portal.
- Keep a copy of your submitted application for your records.
The Besio Family Scholarship is a renewable award of $25,000 per year for up to four years. This means that the total value of the scholarship could be up to $100,000.
Restrictive Early Action: November 1st
Regular Decision: January 1st
How to Ace The Besio Family Scholarship
- Start early. The application process can be time-consuming, so it’s important to start early. Give yourself plenty of time to gather your materials, write your personal statement, and get letters of recommendation.
- Make sure you meet the eligibility requirements. Review the eligibility requirements carefully and make sure you meet all of them. If you don’t meet all of the requirements, you won’t be eligible for the scholarship.
- Get strong letters of recommendation. Ask teachers, counselors, or other professionals who know you well to write letters of recommendation for you. Your letters of recommendation should highlight your academic achievements, your service to community, and your character.
- Write a strong personal statement. The personal statement is your chance to tell your story and explain why you would be a good fit for the Besio Family Scholarship. Make sure your personal statement is well-written and free of errors.
- Proofread your application carefully. Before you submit your application, be sure to proofread it carefully for any errors in grammar or spelling. A careless mistake could cost you the scholarship.
- Do your research. Learn as much as you can about the Besio Family Scholarship and the University of Notre Dame. This will help you write a stronger personal statement and answer any questions that the scholarship committee may have.
The Besio Family Scholarship presents an excellent opportunity for incoming freshmen pursuing majors in business or engineering. If you are a high school senior who fulfills the eligibility criteria, I strongly encourage you to submit your application for consideration.